What are some facts about India that Indians are generally unaware of? by @sinha400
Answer by Aayush Sinha:
Here are some facts that every Indian should know:
- Varaha Avtar is one of the ten avtaars of Lord Vishnu; in Varaha avatar Lord Vishnu is depicted as a wild boar lifting earth which is drowning in water. Now, the interesting thing to note is the shape of Earth. 1000’s of years ago Indians knew that the Earth was round.
2. In Hindi the earth is called Jagat which means “Jiski Gati hai” (a thing in motion), it proves that Indians knew that the earth was moving and not the sun.
3. In Sanskrit Geography is called Bhugol Vigyanam(भूगोलविज्ञानम्). Bhu means Earth & Gol means Round. This reconfirms that ancient Indians knew that the Earth was round.
4. Antares is a star in the space and it is the 15th brightest star in the sky. Ancient Indians called this star Jeshtha (Elder or Bigger) & they were right. Antares is 10,000 times bigger than our Sun. It is one of the biggest objects known to man.
5. Ancient Indians had the sole technology of producing rustproof iron. An iron pillar in Kollur (Karnataka) stands there from last 2,000 years & it is completely rustproof. Kollur is a place that receives 600 cm of rain for at least 5 months in a year.
6. India’s first Rocket was transported on a cycle. Yes it is about the first rocket Launched by ISRO.
7. Shakuntala Devi was titled as the Human Calculator after she demonstrated the calculation of two 13 digit numbers which were picked at random.
8. Maj. Dhyan Chand was offered German Citizenship by Hitler. In 1936 Berlin Olympics Major Dhyan Chand also known as Wizard of Hockey defeated Germany from 8–1. He was also offered a senior position in German Army. Major Dhyanchand declined the offer.
9. Havells a multi-billion dollar company is purely of Indian origin and is named after its actual owner Haveli Ram Gandhi.
10. Sentinel Island is one of the most isolated place on the planet, This island is a part of the Nicobar islands where no civilized humans are allowed by the aboriginals of the place. Every attempt to make contact with these people is met with hostility.
Now some amazing facts from the glorious defense services of India.
- Indian Army is the largest voluntary force in the world.
- After the Chennai floods a man wrote a letter stating “I have not seen God but now I believe they must look like our Indian Army”
- In the war of 1971, it took hardly 16 days by the Indian Armed forces to defeat Pakistan. The Indian Army took 93,000 POW’s (Prisoners of War) which the highest number after world war 2.
- Indian Armed forces rank fourth on the global fire power index.
- Agni V, India’s latest Intercontinental Ballistic Missile is not only one of the most accurate but also one of the most cost effective missile. It costs only Rs.50 Crores.
- In case of a war, If Indian Navy applies a naval blockade at Port Bin Quasim (Karachi). The Indian Army has the capability to reach Afghanistan cutting across Pakistan in 14 hours.
- In the 1999 Kargil War, Capt Saurabh Kalia & five Jawans were captured alive they were tortured & killed by Pakistani army. His case stills waits for justice.
For updates about the nation join the page :