Who are some great Indians that most people have not heard of? by Rahul Agnihotri
Answer by Rahul Agnihotri:
Let me introduce The Ugly Indians [TUI]… unheard and uncommon Indians.
They are "faceless, leaderless" group of volunteers started their movement on Friday, Nov 12th 2010. The group is made up of self-driven and motivated people who are mostly professionals in the 25–40 age group.
They remain strictly anonymous because they think that labels take away all the good work and it becomes so-and-so's movement. Anonymity is a big attraction of the movement, they even respond to media queries only by email.
Their philosophy is : Kaam chalu mooh bandh (Stop Talking, Start Doing). They believe in direct action, with a common-sense problem-solving approach and don't finger-point or blame the system.
Some of their guidelines are:
- No lectures, no moralizing, no activism, no self-righteous anger.
- No confrontation, no arguments, no debates, no pamphlets, no advocacy.
- Don’t step on anyone’s toes, don’t take sides in any ideological debates.
- Support existing systems & improve their effectiveness for the greater good.
- Basically, get real. Treat everyone with sincerity, respect and dignity first, and the greater good will be an outcome.
TUI calls their work as "spot-fixing" where they chooses small segments of road each week to clean: pavements, defaced walls, footpaths unusable by potholes as spot-fixing places.
All tools, materials and instructions are provided on the spot. All spot-fixes are self-funded and volunteers are requested to make a contribution towards material costs.
TUI recognizes the spot-fix as a success only if:
- It lasts for at least 90 days.
- It requires no ongoing supervision.
- It is low-cost (ideally free) and easy to implement and replicate
- It changes the behavior and attitudes of all concerned
- It creates minimal disruption in the daily actions of everyone concerned.
Initiatives and Movements:
tereBin : tereBins are dustbins provided by TUI for public use meant for paper cups, banana skins, cigarette packets and similar small litter.
WonderLOO : The wonderloo is an open urinal that protects the privacy of the users. The loo is unmanned and completely free to use.
UFO (Under the flyovers) : A movement to makeover the areas under the flyover which got dirtier thanks to layers of ugly posters. Till date, 1,500+ citizens have participated, about 250+ pillars have been transformed.
Members self-select themselves by writing to.