What are the best examples of roles where actors underwent significant physical transformations … by Sayantan Mahato
Answer by Sayantan Mahato:
The Only Actor to Win 3 Oscars for Best Actor (Learnt a New Language, Became a Professional Boxer Just to Justify His Role)
Natalie Portman might be good.
Christian Bale might be better.
But, this guy is undoubtedly the best.
You might be talking about how actors went to greater lengths to justify their role.
But this guy literally traversed boundary between sanity and insanity just for the sake of justifying.
The result of which ended up doing very few selective roles compared to his contemporaries.
Which (unsurprisingly) got him 3 Academy Awards for Best Actor. And, the only actor till date to achieve the feat.
What makes him so special and a folk from an entirely different class is that: he probably perfects the concept of perfection itself.
Here's how he does things:
- The Unbearable Lightness of Being: Learned a New Language (Czech).
- My Left Foot: Confined himself to chair all the times.
- Last of the Mohicans: Became a skilled hunter.
- In The Name of Father: Locked himself in a prison.
- The Crucible: Didn't Wash and Bathe throughout the shoot.
- The Boxer: Became a professional-grade boxer.
- Gangs of New York: Caught Pneumonia.
And this is just the tip of the ice-berg.
You can't even designate him with the father of method acting, because achievement of a fatherly figure can and always be surpassed.
But his methodology is unparalled by anybody in every way possible.
Even with so little films, he left such a big and massive impact that he was knighted in 2014!
He is the living embodiment on how quantity will never ‘trump' over quality.
Here's a little inforgraph from 9gag to make you realize his sheer potential and brilliance: