Is Rashtriya Swayamsevak Sangh a Hindu version of ISIS? by Manish Singh
Answer by Manish Singh:
Let us analyse both organisations ISIS & RSS (not fringe elements in it) parallely:
- Name or Meaning:
- ISIS: Islamic State of Iraq and Syria.
- RSS: Rashtriya Swayamsevak Sangh (National Volunteer Organisation).
- ISIS: Offshoot of A.Q.I. or Al-Qaeda in Iraq (a.k.a. Mujahideen Shura Council). Founded in 2006 by Abu Omar al-Baghdadi & Abu Ayyub al-Masri who were killed in an anti-terror US-Iraqi operation in April 2010. Initial objective was to adhere to global jihadist principles and follow the hard-line ideology of Osama Bin Landen’s Al-Qaeda.
- RSS: Founded in 1925 by Keshav Baliram Hedgewar as a reaction to Malabar riots. The pre-independence objective for creation was to promote the concept of a united India rooted in indigenous ideology.
- Current Mission or Ideology:
- ISIS: Wahhabism or to establish world-wide caliphate by killing all kafirs (non-believers).
- RSS: Selfless Service to Motherland (India).
- Recruitment & Member Count:
- ISIS: By 2014, atleast 200,000. Many people supportive of Jihadi ideology from almost all countries (including China, Germany, Pakistan, U.S.A., Australia, Canada, U.K., Israel, India, Japan, etc.) have, mostly voluntarily, joined ISIS.
- RSS: By 2016, atleast 5,000,000. Only people from India have voluntarily joined RSS.
- Law advocated/followed:
- ISIS: ISIS compels people in the areas that it controls to live according to its interpretation of “God-made” Sharia law. Some punitive actions includes:
- Drinkers & gamblers to be whipped;
- Thieves must have their hand cut off;
- Highway robbers should be mutilated or crucified;
- Homosexuals to be executed;
- Adulterers to be stoned to death;
- Non-believers to be killed; etc.
- RSS: Before Independence, RSS wanted Akhand Bharat (Undivided India) with indigenous ideology. After Independence, RSS opposed the Constitution of India as it didn't mentioned Manu’s laws or Manusmriti (Manu, according to Hindu Myth, preserved life from extinction in a great flood; like the Bilblical Noah). Currently it accepts & follows the Constitution of India, but with some reservations, such as: National Anthem, National Flag, Reservations (due to its misuse by affluent section of people), Secularism (due to its misuse by some political parties for vote-bank), etc.
- Weapons/methods used to propagate their agenda:
- ISIS: ISIS uses violence to expand & manage their agenda. Some of their tools are Assault rifles like AK-47, Semi automatic rifles, Sniper rifles, Machine guns, Pistols, explosives, anti-tank weapons, anti-aircraft launchers, light artillery, utility vehicles, some tanks, suicide bombings etc.
- RSS: RSS as an organisation uses sticks (approx 5 ft.) mostly for physical activities (exercises, march-past, etc). However, it has been alleged that they have somehow managed to master how to spread terrorism using sticks. As there have been very strict arms control rules in India (due to The Arms Act of 1959 and the Arms Rules of 1962), very few RSS karyakarta have licensed arms and also very limited ammunition.
- Achievements in fields of terrorism or other wrongful/illegal activities:
- ISIS: Out of a minimum of 70 terrorist attacks in 20 different countries, some of the most notable ones are –
- Yemen, 2015: Suicide bombings of two Shi’a mosques killing 142 and injuring 351 people.
- Turkey, 2015: Suicide bombing at a peace rally killing 103 and injuring more than 400 people.
- U.S.A., 2016: Orlando nightclub shooting killing 49 & injuring 53 people.
- France, 2016: On Bastille day, killed 86, injured 434 people.
- Pakistan, 2016: Quetta killings where 61 people were killed and more than 161 were injured.
- U.K., 2017: Outside Westminster palace, 5 people killed & 41 injured.
- RSS: Below are some activities that can be remotely traced to RSS –
- Assassination of Mahatma Gandhi, 1948: A former member of RSS, Nathuram Godse assassinated Gandhi ji. Some RSS leaders were arrested on conspiracy charges but after no connection was found between the assassination and RSS leaders, the Supreme Court acquitted them and lifted the ban on RSS.
- Involvement in Communal Riots: Radical offshoots of RSS such as VHP (Vishwa Hindu Parishad), BD (Bajrang Dal), HJS (Hindu Jagaran Sammukhya) have been accused (& some convicted) of religious violence against Muslims in Gujrat (after 56 Hindus were burnt alive in a coach of Sabarmati Express train at Godhra station by a Muslim mob) and against Christians in Odisha (due to religious conversion of Dalits to Christianity). RSS has made appeals to put an end to violence and has asked their supporters and volunteer staffs to prevent any activity that might disrupt peace.
- Demolition of Babri Masjid: RSS was accused of destruction of Babri Masjid, which, many Hindus believe, to be forcefully constructed by a Mughal emperor on the birth place of Rama (a Hindu diety) after demolition of a Rama Temple; however, RSS has denied such allegations.
- Achievements in fields of reforms or other rightful/legal activities:
- ISIS: If one doesn't consider implementation of Sharia & Caliphate as rightful or reformative, there is no achievements of ISIS that can be stated here.
- RSS: Below are some notable efforts of RSS –
- Uplifting of socially backward class.
- Relief efforts after 1971 Orissa Cyclone, 1977 Andra Pradesh Cyclone, 1984 Bhopal disaster, 2001 Gujrat earthquakes, 2004 Indian Ocean earthquake (Tsunami), 2013 Uttarakhand floods, 2006 Gujrat floods, etc.
- Assisted victims of the Kargil war of 1999.
- Assisted in decolonization of Dadra and Nagar Haveli.
- Movement against emergency declared by the Indira Gandhi govt. in 1976 that suspended the fundamental rights and curtailed the freedom of press.
- In 1971 Bangladesh Liberation war, RSS volunteers offered their services to maintain law and order of the country and were the first to donate blood.
- Treatment with people who don't believe in their ideology:
- ISIS: ISIS have no tolerance policy towards kafirs or non-believers & Muslims who don't support ISIS ideology. One of the many radical objectives they have, is to kill any & all who are non-believers or who oppose them to establish Caliphate.
- RSS: Like the Muslim League (wanted partition), during partition of India, RSS (was against partition) wanted theocracy; i.e. RSS wanted India for Hindus (including Sikhs, Buddhists, Jains, & non-Muslims) only. However, RSS has moved away from strong right-wing ideology to centerist right-wing ideology. RSS started MRM (Muslim Rashtriya Manch), a Muslim organisation in 2002 to allow Sanghis to reach out to Muslims for nation building and bring Hindu & Muslim communities closer.
- Famous/Infamous global/national leaders affiliated with the organisation:
- ISIS: All the below leaders are/were globally infamous and UN designated terrorists –
- Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi.
- Abdul Qadir Mumin.
- Abu Muhammad al-Shimali.
- Abu Ayman Al-Iraqi.
- RSS: A few out of the many globally known and nationally respected leaders, are –
- Atal Bihari Vajpayee: 10th Prime Minister of the Republic of India.
- Narendra Modi: 14th & current Prime Minister of the Republic of India.
- Rajnath Singh.
- Murli Manohar Joshi.
So when some presstitutes & propagandists preach/write that both ISIS & RSS hate pluralism, or equate RSS & ISIS as, according to them, both want their respective religious laws implemented, just sit back, visualize the below pictures & smile at their “simplification”.