What are some of the most interesting/competitive rivalries between two corporations throughout history? by @kvakhil
Answer by Akhil Kintali:
The founders of Adidas and Puma were brothers!!
1. Adolf Dassler and his elder brother Rudolf Dassler, were born into a poor family which sold homemade slippers to earn a living.
2. Both of them together started Dassler Brothers Sports Shoe Company in 1920. Their company shot to fame in 1936 when, legendary track star Jesse Owens to wore their shoes as he competed and won four gold medals in the 1936 Olympics.
3. This success along with many miscommunications created new tensions in the family which resulted in the brothers splitting their companies.
4. Adolf, who preferred to be called Adi, named his business Adidas, combining his first and last names; Rudolf tried the same with his firm called Ruda, though he later changed it to Puma.
5. The town of Herzogenaurach, where the family stayed and the initial factories stood, got divided into two. Those who loved Puma & those who loved Adidas. It came to be known as the "the town of bent necks". because people would first look at the person's footwear and then greet or ignore them.
6. As the entire town got caught up in the Dassler family feud, the rivalry reached ridiculous proportions. There were local businesses that served only Adidas or only Puma people, dating or marrying across company lines was forbidden
7. While Rudolf's family lost the Puma empire in the 1980s, Adolf's descendants lost control of Adidas 4th July, 1990.
8. The Dassler brothers had both died, within four years of each other. Even in death, their rivalry continued as the brothers were buried at opposite ends of the same cemetery, as far away from each other as possible.
9. Adidas, later bought Reebok for $3.8 billion in 2005.
10. In September 2009, both the companies put aside their feud and faced off in a friendly game of soccer
11. Adidas vs. Puma is No. 20 on Fortune‘s list of the 50 greatest business rivalries of all time.
Sources:, & .