What are some iconic quotes about Rahul Dravid? by Gauti
Answer by Gauti:
Rahul Dravid’s wife words
- “If I packed only two sets of informal clothes, he would rotate them through an entire tour if he had to and not think about it. He doesn’t care for gadgets, and barely registers brands – of watches, cologne or cars. But if the weight of his bat was off by a gram, he would notice it in an instant and get the problem fixed”
- “He (Dravid) is a perfect role model for youngsters. He has set a great example for all of us to follow. We are all trying to follow that path.”
- “Rahul is the kind of person who young cricketers can look up to; not only because of his success but also because of the way he conducts himself.”
- “Try to take his wicket in the first 15 minutes, if you can’t then only try to take the remaining wickets.”
— Steve Waugh advising his bowlers on Rahul Dravid
- “I am aware that many people see Rahul and me as similar cricketers, I am flattered because it’s good to be compared to a guy who has an average of over 57!.It’s only now that people are recognising that Dravid has probably played more critical knocks than his great contemporaries.”
- “Dravid’s remarkable career is proof that nice guys don’t finish last.”
- “Rahul Dravid being known as ‘The Wall’ is pretty much spot on. ‘The fortress’ could also describe Rahul. Because once, Dravid was set, you needed the bowling equivalent of a dozen cannon firing all at once to blast him down.””
- “Dravid Could play attacking cricket like me but i could never play like him”
- “If I have to put anyone to bat for my life, it’ll be Kallis or Dravid”.
- “Everyone has already exhausted superlatives so I would not bother myself with any additional praise but you could be sure my admiration for him has grown tremendously.”
- “Rahul is always been in the shadow of Sachin. If you take his record it’s as good as Sachin’s but you cannot compare both as they are different kind of players. Rahul is a complete cricketer.”
Navjot Singh Sidhu:
- “Rahul Dravid is a player who would walk on broken glass if his team asks him to”
- “Some succeeded because they are destined to, but he succeeded because he was Determined to.”
- “If you can’t get along with Dravid, you’re struggling in life ”
- “Dravid has been a class player for a long time now and we know his ability better than anyone. He’s not like the other guys who love scoring off every ball, and there’s no real weakness in his game either.”
- “If there was one Indian player who could get a direct entry into the famous Australian team of the late 90s, it would be Rahul Dravid.”
- “Even though Sachin is great, I have always found Rahul more solid and hard to get out. He has a solid defense and plays less shots than others. When a batsman plays less shots then it is tough to get him as he makes less mistakes.”
- “I have also not seen him lose his temper. He has that uncanny skill of keeping his frustrations to himself. He hates to get out though and you can see the restlessness in him till he gets his act together in the next outing. He is the most hard-working guy in the side.”
- “All this going around is not aggression. If you want to see aggression on cricket field, look into Rahul Dravid’s eyes”
Peter O’ Toole (Legendary Irish Actor)
- “Everyone praises Sachin Tendulkar. He may be a genius in his own right but in my book, Rahul Dravid is the artist. Dravid’s defence tactics, his strokes, his cuts, his grace are truly amazing. I’d like to meet the chap sometime and take my hat off to him.”
- “He deserves his success as he has worked hard for it. He is one of the most down to earth and disciplined professionals I’ve met.”
- “Champion on and off the field, showed us with his great hard work, sky is the limit.”
- “Team in trouble? Whom do you turn to? Rahul Dravid!”
- “He is truly the mainstay of the Indian batting. He is the best batsman of India in this era undoubtedly.”
- “The wolf who lived for the pack.”
- “Ask him to walk on water for his team and he will ask you how many miles..”
- “He’s probably the nicest guy. No, he is the nicest guy that I have met in cricket. He’s a phenomenal man.”
- “I’ve seen how Rahul goes about his innings & that’s something I want to get myself involved with.”
- “He is regarded by the Australians as one of the mentally toughest players they have come up against. He is a tough task competitor. He is a wonderful cricketer for India, a great, great cricketer.”
- “Nothing can beat experience”
- “If a martian were to land on earth now and be told that the best batsman in the world was playing in this match, he would think it was Rahul Dravid and not Sachin Tendulkar.”
- “Ask any bowler and he will tell you that all the greats will give you a half chance early in their innings, except Dravid.”
Sambit Bal in Timeless Steel
- “Some are born to greatness. Rahul Dravid acquired it. In some ways that is the greater achievement.”
An excerpt from the article : Dravid and the mastery of the struggle
- “If it’s a batting beauty with the ball coming on to the bat, give me Sehwag or Laxman; if there’s a truly great array of bowlers set to be unleashed, give me Tendulkar. If it’s a minefield, give me Dravid.”
Lines from the book “Rahul Dravid, timeless steel”
- His batting is, not for some, immediately appealing; It is like paintings, it required a second look, a considered appreciation. Soon its beauty is revealed, its simple elegance, its clean, classical lines, its divorce from awkwardness, its stylish symmetry. He plays to his own wondrous sheet music.
When he announced retirement from Tests
- “Walls don’t retire, they turn into Monuments“
- “As is usual in India, they could name a street after Rahul Dravid. But then, the Americans have already done it. #Wall Street !”
Harsha Bhogle comment on Dravid’s Retirement
- “When I am done with my profession I wish I could go with the reputation that Rahul Dravid has.”
- “Elegant at the crease, Eloquent in Retirement, thanks for the memories .”– ESPN
- “If Sachin is the Superman of Indian cricket universe, Rahul Dravid is The Dark Knight.”
- “We are lucky that he had chosen cricket. He would have been successful in any field, given his methods.”
- 1st person: Sachin is God.
2nd person: If Sachin is God, then Ganguly is God on the off side.
3rd person: Then Laxman is God of 4th innings.
4th person Then, who is Dravid??
First 3 people together: When the doors of the temple are closed, even Gods are behind “The Wall” !!
- “Its 0 A.D(After Dravid) in Indian cricket” after Dravid’s Retirement..!!!
- “Time and tide wait for nobody, except Rahul Dravid” – MTV India
Dravid’s words about Sachin
- “Even if my grandchildren don’t remember the fact that I scored 10,000 runs in Test and ODI cricket, I am confident that they will remember that Sachin Tendulkar used to be my team-mate.”
Once an Indian bowler said something like (not sure of the exact words).
“Dravid will regret dropping a catch a lot more than losing his wicket. Because dropping a catch meant for him that he wasted his teammate’s hard work”
During a match when Indian team was struggling while batting. Harsha Bhogle and Rahul Dravid were the commentators. Harsha says,
“ The only man who can save India from this situation is sitting besides me in the Commentary Box!”
- Had Rahul Dravid been born in any country other than India, he would have been much more famous than Sachin Tendulkar.
In one line he can be described as:
- The wall of Commitment, Consistency and Class.
Edit: Thanks for correcting me and your suggestionsRohit Waghere
Any suggestions/corrections are more than welcome 🙂