Who is the most underrated Indian cricketer? by Amritesh Mukherjee
Answer by Amritesh Mukherjee:
Ask someone who is your favorite Indian cricketer??
- Virat Kohli
- MS Dhoni
- Rahul Dravid
- Rohit Sharma
- Sachin Tendulkar
- Yuvraj Singh
- Sourav Ganguly
- Virender Sehwag
But never this man who-
- Played for a complete day after New Zealand gave follow on to India in the 2nd test in 2009 test series, scoring 137 off just 436 to avoid defeat.
- Batted through pain (injured hand and a hit to the elbow) for more than 4 hours to score 64 off 184 deliveries against South Africa at Cape Town during India’s 2010/11 tour to the country.
- Came up with a knock of 75 in the final of 2007 T20 World Cup against Pakistan that helped India set a competitive score against Pakistan when the rest of the batting faltered.
- Leading run-scorer for India in the inaugural World T20 in 2007.
- Faced 122 balls and scored 97 runs with the help of nine boundaries to help India create history against Sri Lanka in the historic final at the Wankhede stadium in Mumbai.
Most probably, by now, you know whom I am talking about.
The one and only GAUTAM GAMBHIR.
- Dhoni’s knock of 91* in WC grabbed headlines. He was the silent hero.
- The 2007–08 CB series was popular mainly due to Sachin's knocks in the finals and Dhoni's first overseas tour as captain. But people forgot the man who single handedly guided India to the finals, the one who was the top-scorer in the series with 440 runs with an average of 55.
- India won the inaugural T20 world cup under MS Dhoni. Everyone praised Dhoni's captaincy and Yuvraj's six sixes against Stuart Broad. Not a lot of people remembered that Gambhir was India's highest run getter in the series. Again the silent hero.
- Gambhir was snapped up by KKR at the 2011 IPL Player Auction for a record-smashing USD 2.5 million (11.04 cr). He vindicated their decision when he captained KKR to their first top-four finish in IPL 2011 and then led them to the IPL title in 2012. KKR have won two IPL titles under his captaincy – in 2012 and 2014. A team which never had reached the playoffs reaches the playoffs the year Gambhir was made the captain. Hadn't noticed it before, had you?
To sum up the answer-
Thanks for reading.
(Image Source- Google Images)